Saturday, March 5, 2011

A very Star Wars birthday!

One of our nephews turned 5 yesterday. He is one of the biggest Star Wars fans I know...I think he loves it more than my husband and his brother combined, and that's saying A LOT! We always know we're safe giving him something Star Wars related, but this year my sister-in-law requested that we try NOT to give him any new Star Wars toys. One of the things that she told me he wants a really cool bulletin board for his room. I've decorated one for my oldest daughter's room, so I knew this was something I could do.

Now we all know how popular Star Wars is. So one would think it would be easy to find some Star Wars-themed fabric out there somewhere. Wrong. I went to three fabric stores and came up with NOTHING. I finally found some cosmic-looking fabric with stars and milky-way-looking swirls on it, so this is the fabric I decided to go with.

I bought a plain bulletin board and spray painted the edges silver. I stapled fabric to the cork board and then lined the inside of the edge with ribbon to cover the staples. I thought the color combination was very Darth Vader-ish, so I hope my nephew thinks so, too!

Here's the final product:



Of course, nothing ever photographs as well as it looks in person, but you get the idea. I think it turned out pretty well and I hope he likes it!

Going along with the Darth Vader theme of the day, I decided to make him a birthday card, too. I had remembered that one of the sheets from the Fancy Pants Father and Son collection had a star burst pattern on it. I decided to scan it and print it out in black and white to go better with my idea of black, white and red.



I found a Darth Vader sticker at my local scrapbook store that I thought would work for the card and then looked up a Darth Vader quote off the internet that sounded birthday-ish. I added some star brads, inked the edges of the card and VOILA! Done! This as probably one of the easiest cards I've ever made and I am happy with the way it turned out!



I hope our nephew thinks these things are as cool as I do. :) I'll find out tomorrow!

PS He loved them!! :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think!